Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Review: Captive by Aimee Carter


Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)Title:  Captive 
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publishing Date: November 25th 2014
Pages: 304
Genre: YA Dystopian
Series: The Blackcout Rebellion #2
Source: Audio


  

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever. 

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape. 

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?


I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I wanted to get back to the world of Kitty, Knox, and all the others from the first book. I fell in love with every one of the characters in the first book. I loved the story and I loved the intensity of the book. I was ready for this story to continue. I was not disappointed with the second novel. There were a few times I was hesitant how good the book would end up, but just as the first, I found myself immersed and in love with the story.


Kitty's story continues as she plays the part of Lila, plans her wedding to Knox, meets with the rebellion, and stews in her hatred for the prime minister Daxton. Its a very hard and busy life for Kitty. As she does what she can to help the rebellion she finds herself in one mess after another, not knowing who trust, betrayed by those she thought were her allies, and lands herself in Elsewhere. In Elsewhere all bets are off and she is no longer safe, no longer under the protection of Knox, and no way to escape. 


This book started out with a bang. From the very beginning things happened. Lots of things happened. None of them good. I thought we would see some happy between Benjy and Kitty in the first few chapters. It started to seem maybe things weren't so bad for Kitty, she just had to hang in there and act like she was Lila, be who she needed to be and all would be good. Well it would have been except Kitty makes some pretty stupid decisions. Which led to lies and secrets and betrayals she never expected. The book was good but in the beginning til practically the end, I did have issues with Kitty. 

I had some real problems with Kitty. She didn't bother to think through any decision she made. They were stupid and irrational and spontaneous. Everything she did backfired on her. She only ended up in a worse situation and often catching others in the crossfire. All because she was stupid, prideful, and immature. This really bothered me. I know its been a year since the first book, but I am pretty sure I don't remember Kitty being so rebellious and crazy. At one point I wanted to just give up on her. But I didn't because I liked the story. So I Kept reading. 

I want to say that Kitty wasn't all bad. She still has fire in her, she still cared endlessly for  her friends, she was still loyal to Benjy, she still wanted to keep those around her safe. She was resourceful and passionate... just stupid. She was really only stupid when her feelings were hurt or when she thought there was no way out of a mess... but none the less stupid. She used her heart way more than she used her head. 

Even though Kitty really fried my nerves, I didn't give up and I am glad I didn't in the end I think she learned, she grew, she matured, and I think that if it wasn't for all the messes she caused... she wouldn't have. So it ended good with Kitty for me. In the end I forgave her for her stupidity and once again she was on my good side.

I like Benjy and I like that there is no love triangle, not insta love, but the romance just isn't strong in this book. I do want more romance feels without it getting complicated. I get it, its hard to find time for romance in this crazy world that Kitty lives in but I would like to feel it and I don't. I also say there is no love triangle. Let me elaborate. It is clear that Knox is in love with Kitty, but Kitty in now ways sees this, understands this, or desires this. She is all about Benjy. I feel bad for Knox but I enjoy the loyalty with Benjy and Kitty's relationship. I hope in the next book there will be just a bit more romance feels somehow, someway. I need it.  

As for the story. The story rocked. It was so good. There were so many twists and turns and what the heck moments that I couldn't keep my own head on straight. I was floored so many times. My jaw made a permanent position of dropped. I don't think I have been shocked so many times in one book. It was crazy. I was deeply involved with everything that was going on and really I don't know how I continued to live my normal life while reading this book..

The pacing was great. Never a slow moment. Action from first page to last. In the few times there wasn't any action I was in a deep rabbit hole of Kitty's thoughts trying to figure out what was going on and on the edge of my seat waiting for the next mountain of intensity. I listened to this book on audio but I can imagine if I had read the book, it would have been a one sitting read. 

This was a pretty extreme read and the only thing that kept me from rating it higher was Kitty's stupidity. The only reason Kitty's stupidity did not cause a lower rating, I am pretty sure the author made her this way on purpose, so there would be growth. There was growth and it made me happy. 


Just as good as the first, but so different and yet still the same. Can't wait for the next book. 







Aimee Carter
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. Her first novel for young adults, THE GODDESS TEST, will be published by Harlequin Teen on April 19th, 2011. The sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, will follow in January 2012.
Find her on Twitter at @aimee_carter.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED Pawn by Aimee Carter and I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I'm really disappointed that there isn't going to be a love triangle.. I was sure it was coming and got excited for it. I think both Benji and Knox were great. Thanks for sharing!!
    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEK! So loved this, and things started right from the off, I know she makes stupid decisions (but let's face it, she is rather hot headed, but I kind of love her for it, and really, he was waiting for any excuse to send her to Elsewhere) and it makes for good reading. ;) But loved the twists, I suspected the Benji and Knox thing, because it was so out of character for him, but holy crap, the Kitty twist, did not see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kitty thing totally blue me away. Made sense and in hindsight I was like duh! Hot headed is the perfect way to describe Kitty. Why didn't I think about that. This series would be awesome for a book club read. So much to talk about. Even if you don't like it... which I do love it, there is so much going on that conversations could go on for hours.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs