Monday, April 16, 2018

I Read That Movie: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I  read that movie is a feature where we compare movies or TV series, and the books they're based on.


A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)Title: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Publishing Date: January 1st, 1962
Pages: 232
Length of Audio: 6 Hours and 27 Minutes
Genre: Middle Grade Sci-Fi
Series: Time Quintet
Source: Audio
  
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".
Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?

Mini review:

What made me read this book: 
I saw that the movie was coming out and I generally like to read the book before I see the movie, if I can help it. 
And I knew it was something that my dad really liked, so why not?

What did I like the most: 
The author was really good at world building. I could see in my mind exactly where they were at when she described it. 

The characters were written well, especially for kids. I feel like the main character grew so much from the beginning of the book to the end.
I also really liked Charles Wallace. He reminds me of the kid from Fuller House. The things he said cracked me up.

It's also a really unique story. Everything in it was nothing like any other book I've read. The teleporting type thing, the worlds, everything was completely unique. 

Also loved the Mrs. of course.


What didn't I like: 

I was a little bit lost at the end of it. I don't really remember too much of the ending to be honest. 

Also along with being unique, it was really really weird at parts. Like had me saying "Wow this chick on drugs" but it was the sixties so probably was.


A Wrinkle in Time PosterRelease Date: March 9th, 2018
Cast: Storm Reid, Levi Miller, Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling
Series: Standalone (So far?)
After the disappearance of her scientist father, three peculiar beings send Meg, her brother, and her friend to space in order to find him.





Mini Review:
This is a really great movie to be honest. The things that they accomplished in the movie with special affects and such was great. Seeing all the different make up and outfits the Mrs. wore was awesome. It was definitely worth going to see.

Let's compare:
Did I see the movie or read the book first?
 I read the book first. I made sure to read it before I went and saw the movie.

Like the movie or the book better?
I honestly think I liked the movie better. It was awesome being able to see everything from the book come to life.

How does it compare?
Most of the movie is actually pretty similar to the book. There are a few big things that changed, but for the most part it represented the book well.

Do the actors match the characters in the book?
So I saw who the actors were for the movie before I read the book. So of course I basically pictured them the whole time. I didn't think that Meg would be mixed race, and I didn't picture the Mrs. like any of the ones from the movie. But I think all of the actors did an amazing job and represented the characters well.

Major differences?
The first thing is that in the book, Meg has three brothers, two twins and then Charles Wallace. In the movie she just has Charles Wallace and he was adopted. 

The way they met the Mrs. is a little different. But nothing too awful.

One of the biggest things that bugged me, was that in the book Mrs. Whatsit turns into a horse like creature. But in the movie she turns into a weird... leaf plant like creature thing. And I wish they would've just stuck with her being a horse type creature.

In the book they also get to meet these fluffy huge creature things (I pictured them like the abominable snowman) and they nurse the humans back to health. Well that scene was nowhere in the movie and that made me so sad. I was hoping to get to see them. (Just looked up people who illustrated the creatures, they are not fluffy or cute, they are kind of really creepy. Yikes)

And the last thing is that they did change the ending. They're probably not going to make another movie so they wanted to wrap it all up in one movie.




Fun Facts?

Mrs. Who is known for speaking in quotes, and referencing by using the quoted's last name and country. (Although she does sometimes use her own words) This Wrinkle in Time movie has added some popculture references. One of these is near the end, when the Misses say good bye to the children. Mrs Who says " 'Tomorrow they'll be more of us.' Miranda, American." This is indeed a reference to Lin Manuel Miranda's Broadway hit "Hamilton," as a lyric from the song titled "The Story of Tonight."




       






1 comment:

  1. I read this book as a kid (which was a looooong time ago), but I remember it fondly. A few years ago, I read a book, which was a sort of homage to A Wrinkle in Time called When You Reach Me, and it was quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs